Chicken and Rice Soup
Recipe by: Patricia Smith
“We found this recipe on the internet and tweaked it by adding chicken stock and wild rice with SEASONING. It is delicious!”
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter (or more oil)
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 onion , chopped
- 3 carrots , halved then cut into 2/5″ slices (quarter if really thick)
- 3 celery ribs , cut into 2/5″ slices
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme, optional
- 1/4 tsp black pepper , finely ground
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 4 cups chicken broth , low sodium
- 1.2 lb bone in , skinless chicken thighs, 4 x 150g/5oz (Note 1)
- 1 cup seasoned long grain white rice
- Salt, adjust to taste
- 1 tbsp finely chopped parsley (optional)
- Place oil and butter in a large pot over medium high heat. Add onion and garlic, cook for 5 minutes until onion is translucent.
- Add carrots and celery, stir for 1 minute.
- Add stock, dried parsley, thyme (if using), pepper, chicken broth, water. Stir, then add chicken.
- Cover with lid, simmer on medium low for 30 minutes. Adjust heat so it’s bubbling a nice amount, but not crazy energetically or super slowly. Skim off excess foam build up once or twice (not critical, just makes broth clearer).
- Remove lid, add rice. Stir, cover, simmer 15 minutes.
- Remove soup from stove.
- Remove chicken into large bowl. Shred with 2 forks, discard bones then stir into soup.
- Stir in half the parsley, taste for salt and add if required. Serve, then garnish with extra parsley.