Coconut Tilapia with Apricot Dipping Sauce
Recipe by: Regina Zona
“I substitute cod in this recipe and it is good and sweet!”
- 1 cup flaked coconut, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon Creole seasoning
- 4 (4 ounce) fillets tilapia
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 (4 ounce) carton egg substitute
- 1/2 cup canola oil
Apricot Dipping Sauce
- 1/2 cup apricot jam
- 2 teaspoons brown mustard
- 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
1. Toss together the coconut, flour and Creole seasoning in a bowl. In a separate bowl, toss the tilapia with the cornstarch, and shake off the excess. Pour the egg substitute into a separate bowl, and dip the fillets in the egg. Press fillets in the coconut mixture coating all sides.
2. Heat canola oil in a frying pan to a temperature of about 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Fry fillets one or two at a time on both sides until golden brown. Remove to drain on a paper towel. Prepare the apricot dipping sauce by stirring together the jam, mustard, and horseradish in a small bowl. Serve the tilapia accompanied by the dipping sauce.