Garlicky Creamed Kale
Recipe by: Martha Mathewson
“Here’s a good veggie recipe that tastes fabulous — and will be good for you (and the family recipe file!) I like to add more garlic than recommended. Guy Fieri’s recipe and it is delicious!“
- 3 pounds fresh kale
- Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 3 cups heavy cream or ½ crème fraiche
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Prepare the kale by removing the center stems and tearing the leaves into bite-size pieces. Set a large pot of water over high heat and bring to a boil. Season generously with salt. When it returns to a boil add the kale. Stir well so it cooks evenly. When it turns bright green and becomes tender, 10 to 12 minutes, remove and drain in a colander.
- To a high-sided saute pan over medium heat, add the butter and garlic. Stir in the cream with some salt and pepper. Set over high heat and bring to a simmer. Cook until the cream reduces by half, 6 to 7 minutes. Once reduced, add the kale, Parmesan, nutmeg and more salt and pepper and bring back to a simmer so the kale is heated through and the Parmesan has melted. Stir to coat everything evenly. Taste and season again if needed.