Grilled Filet Mignon with Gorgonzola Scallion Compound Butter
Recipe by: Patricia Smith
“Nothing much to say…this is delicious!”
- 4 (6 oz.) Filet Mignons
- 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cracked black pepper
- Vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1 to 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 4 tablespoons gorgonzola scallion compound butter (recipe follows)
Instructions for Filets:
1. Rub the steaks with olive oil and pepper. Set aside for 20 to 30 minutes until ready to grill.
2. Prepare a charcoal or gas grill. Lightly spray the grill rack with vegetable oil cooking spray. The coals should be moderately hot to hot.
3. Rub the salt into both sides of the steaks. Grill for 5 to 6 minutes on each side for rare meat or for 6 to 7 minutes for medium-rare meat. Brush a little more olive oil on the steaks after they are turned. Place a pat of the compound butter on top of each filet mignon as soon as it comes off the grill so that the butter begins to melt on top of the meat. Let the meat rest for a few minutes before serving.
Gorgonzola Scallion Compound Butter
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 4 ounces Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground fresh black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
1. Using a hand-held mixer or a mini food processor, blend the butter and Gorgonzola until smooth. Add the scallions, pepper, and vinegar and blend for about 1 minute longer until fully incorporated. Alternatively, mix the ingredients by hand.
2. Lay a piece of plastic wrap on the countertop. Scrape the butter onto the plastic and, using the plastic wrap as a guide, form the butter into a log. Fold the ends closed and refrigerate until ready to use.