- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 4 6-ounce cod or other white-fleshed fish fillets
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cracker meal or crushed saltine crackers
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt
- Vegetable oil, for shallow frying
Whisk the egg and milk in a medium bowl; add the cod and set aside to soak. Mix the flour, cracker meal, cayenne pepper and a pinch of salt on a plate.
Heat 1 inch of oil in a heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-high heat. Remove the fish from the milk mixture and dredge in the flour mixture, turning to coat. Fry in the hot oil until golden, 2 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate to drain; season with salt and pepper.