Power Breakfast Sandwich (like Dunkin Donuts)
Recipe by: Patricia Smith
“I love this sandwich from Dunkin Donuts so I’m happy to find a recipe to make it at home!”
- 6 whole large eggs or the equivalent in egg whites
- 1/4 cup diced bell pepper (I like red or orange)
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup chopped baby spinach
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 6 sweet Italian Turkey Sausage Links
- 6 multigrain sandwich thins
- 6 slices cheese, if desired, I like pepper jack
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Beat eggs. Sautee onion and peppers over medium heat until soft. Let cool for about 5 minutes. Add vegetables, salt and pepper to eggs, and whisk well.
- Coat muffin top pan with nonstick cooking spray. Pour eggs into pan, filling each cavity equally. Carefully place into oven. Cook for approximately 13 to 15 mins or until eggs are completely cooked through.
- While the eggs are cooking, remove sausage casings and form each one into a patty. Cook in a large skillet over medium heat until golden brown and cooked through. Set aside on paper towel lined plate.
- To assemble, place sandwich round bottom on serving plate, top with sausage, then egg. add a slice of cheese if desired, then top with the other half of the sandwich round.
- To freeze: Allow sausage patties and egg rounds to cool, assemble sandwich and place in a ziptop bag. To reheat, remove from bag, wrap loosely in a paper towel and microwave at 50% power for about 90 seconds, then full power for about a minute.