- 9 oz. fettucine (or favorite strand pasta)
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 4-5 sausages (I prefer Hot Italian Turkey sausage, but your choice)
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes (or substitute larger tomatoes cut to size of cherry tom.)
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 3 cups baby arugula (or substitute baby spinach), washed and dried
- 2 oz. Pecorino Romano cheese or Parmesan, shaved
1. Cook pasta according to package instructions. Keep any added salt or oil to a minimum. Drain in a colander over a bowl, reserving 2/3 cup cooking liquid.
2. Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
3. Make shallow cut in the sausage casings; peel off casings and discard. Cut sausage into bite-sized pieces. Add to skillet; cook for 3 minutes or until browned, stirring frequently to crumble meat.
4. Add garlic; cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
5. Add tomatoes, salt and pepper; Cover and cook for 2 minutes. Mash tomatoes with the back of a wooden spatula to break up. Cover pan; reduce heat to low and cook 3 minutes. Remove skillet from heat.
6. Add pasta, reserved liquid and arugula. Toss well until the greens are wilted.
7. Sprinkle with cheese and serve immediately.