- Cooking spray
- (About) 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk (subst. regular milk, less one tbsp., add 1 tbsp. white vinegar)
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 5 tbsp. honey, divided
- 5 tbsp. molasses, divided
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 2 tsp. peeled and grated fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp. water
- 1 tsp. powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 400. Lightly coat 8 inch square baking pan (or substitute a round pan which will have to watched more carefully while baking) with cooking spray. Set aside.
2. Spoon flour into a measuring cup, leveling with a knife. Combine flour with spices (baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, allspice and salt) in a small bowl.
3. Combine buttermilk and eggs.
4. Combine 1/4 cup honey, 1/4 cup molasses, brown sugar, butter and fresh ginger in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir constantly until sugar melts. Remove pan from heat; cool for 5 minutes.
5. Add egg mixture to honey mixture; whisk to combine. Add flour mixture; stir until well combined.
6. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake at 400 for 25 minutes. Place on rack; pierce surface with a skewer.
7. Combine 1 tbsp. honey, 1 tbsp. molasses and 1 tbsp. water. Brush over the hot cake. Cool. Dust with powdered sugar just before serving. Serve with a dollop of whipped cream.